6:49 PM

Giving it a chance

Let's say someone has recommended a book to you. They go on and on about how great it is and how much you will love it. It excites you and you put it on your list to read. When the day finally comes and you sit to read the book, you find that you just cannot get into it. Do you slog through and hope it improves? Or do you toss it aside and pick up the next book in the pile?

I've been in this position before. Sometimes I have tossed the book aside and moved onto something better (although, I can really only think of two books that I did this with). More recently, I continued to plod through the book and ended up being wonderfully rewarded with a great story. The book in question was Laini Taylor's FAERIES OF DREAMDARK BLACKBRINGER. I had read LIPS TOUCH THREE TIMES and enjoyed it so I figured I'd get right into this book as well. I don't know if it was that I didn't give it enough of a chance and was only reading in short spurts that was putting me off, or it was the accented language used in the book. I really wanted to like it. The art work is amazing and the story intrigued me, not to mention it had gotten rave reviews from others. Let me assure you it was not due to bad writing in any way, shape or form. Laini Taylor has a wonderful way with words, especially with her descriptions (I bet a lot of that can be attributed to her also being an artist with paints and such). I think perhaps I just wasn't in the right state of mind when I first started reading the book. I am glad that I continued with it because it really is a great and captivating story and I'm excited to read SILKSINGER!

So the moral of this post is to be sure to give each book a good chance before deciding to toss it to the discard pile. Even if you set it aside for a little bit and plan on coming back to it, it may very well be worth it, lest you miss out on a fantastic story.

0 comments: